when one chicken is always mean to another chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by backdoorchicken, Sep 14, 2009.

1. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    should i step in? i feel bad for the one being bullied. one of my hens is always squatting for me and as soon as she does the other comes up and pecks at her head. why is that?

2. RedStarDaddy

RedStarDaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Are they all youngins?

I saw that a time or two when I was just getting eggs from my pullets. The one squatted for my hand, and while I was petting her another pecked her. When I tried to pet the biter she scooted out of reach. Since they have all started laying I haven't seen that again.

RSD

3. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    yes they are youngins.

only one of my 5 have started to lay. and that is the one getting pecked at.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine will sometimes do that to my RIR since she's the lowest in the pecking order. (and only her, the others aren't an issue, but she will get the peeved look until I rub her)

I have no idea whether you should or should not intervene, but I tap her on the head with my finger(to peck her back) and she stops.

5. RedStarDaddy

RedStarDaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    It may be a self-correcting problem then. Once they all start squatting for your hand they may well quit pecking the others that do too.

RSD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by