When ordering chicks...I want only hens..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sheltree, Dec 15, 2008.

1. sheltree

sheltree New Egg

Dec 15, 2008
    I started with 4 chicks that were supposed to be female..now 2 roos later I want 2 more hens but dont want to risk chicks that are not what they claim to be. How do I KNOW I will get what I am paying for?

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

We ordered from McMurray all pullets and they could only promise 90% pullets as their best sexing ability. we got all pullets escept for the "packing peanuts" One roo out of 53 chicks! [​IMG]

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    You could buy started chicks, or young pullets. The older they get the more obvious it is to know their sex. Or you could get the sex-linked hybrids. They are sexed by color at hatch. Otherwise, there's no way to guarantee 100% accuracy, and you have to make contingency plans just in case you get an unwanted roo.

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    small orders are impossible to guarantee unless you go with the sex-links. Buy older birds...they cost more but you don't have to feed them as long before you get eggs...

5. walbarbsa

walbarbsa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I've bought from McMurray -- hens -- and have been fortunate both orders -- all hens.

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
  7. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I ordered 12 pullets from Ideal Hatchery. What I got was 11 pullets and 1 Roo. I don't know that it could ever be 100% accurate. I suppose the smaller the order the greater % of wrong sex you will have in your order.

8. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    i put in an order for 23 girls, 2 guys! Hope that is what I get. I ordered them from MacMurrays:celebrate

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Sex-links is the only way to assure new chicks will be all pullets.

I have had good success ordering from McMurray, with 24 of 26 pullets. But it doesn't sound like you want enough to make an order from a big hatchery.

I'd look for sex-links, or older birds.

10. CarolynE

CarolynE Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I, too, ordered pullets from McMurray and got all pullets, including the packing peanut! Those guys must really know what they're doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by