When ordering hatchery chicks, is there a minimum?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sunshyne276, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Songster

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    I've been thinking about order a few chicks from one of the hatcheries (Meyers, McMurray, or Ideal probably) - and wondered..
    Is there a usually a minimum order rule at most hatcheries?

2. crimsontide

crimsontide In the Brooder

May 22, 2010
    se MI
    yes either 15 or 25 i jus ordered from cackle they shipped well only 1 loss first night ordered15 and got 22 they have small orders also but cost more

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Yes. As far as I know, all hatcheries have a minimum order rule. Meyer's is 3, McMurray's is 25...

I think you can find that info on their websites. [​IMG]

4. akpeeps

akpeeps Songster

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    My Pet Chicken will ship as few as 3. They have minimums depending on how far you are from a city/main postal hub. Check the website for specific shipping info. They have 100% live chick guarantee with either replacement of any dead chicks at no cost or a full refund.

5. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chirping

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Ideal has a $25 minimum in live poultry. I chose to go with Meyer, and ordered six.

6. drunkdog

drunkdog Songster

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    Ill second the small orders...My Pet Chicken will accomodate that and Cackle does have a city/town special listed with restrictions theyll ship as few as 5 also

7. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Just remember the smaller the number the more apt you are they may not make it in adverse weather and the reliability of the USPS--that's why those hatcheries that sell small quantities charge more for shipping and stick in a few peanuts.

8. orionburn

orionburn Songster

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Quote:Yep. I've ordered twice from them. You can order only 6 or 8 birds, but the total has to be at least $25. Chances are they will put packing peanut chicks in there if you order less than 12-15. Our last order was for 4 ducks and 8 chickens. Even with that many they still included 5 fillers. And so you know - 99% of the time those filler chicks are going to be roos.

9. madimorg

madimorg In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    I just got my order from MyPetChicken yesterday... one box of 11 and one box of 4 (I ordered them at separate times but all shipped the 19th). All arrived vibranat and healthy and quick. I loved that I could order just three if I wanted. My next shipment from them is due in August and has six on that order.

10. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Songster

Jun 23, 2010
    Got my 4 from My Pet Chicken as well. All healthy and warm. They are great. Check them out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by