When RIR cross red sex link chickens start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickadee-23, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    I have 4 they about 3 months old today, which i know they have a long way till they lay but was wanting to know an advance cause i need to make hen house right they stay warm in a dog house which is not big enough for egg laying, they will be free rangers along with 2 roos which are already free ranging, does this breed of chickens go broody or would like to sit on eggs? Thanks

2. ronniewayne

ronniewayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    QUEEN CITY,CASS COUNTY
    they can start laying at 22-26 weeks depending on a few factors. one would be the parents if the sex links and the rir s are from hatchery stock normally they would lay at this time factor 2 would be time of year when the days get longer hens naturally start to lay when the days are shorter they don't lay. because of the age of yours they should work out perfect with the increasing daylight and their maturity happening together I would say you should get eggs sometimes around march at the latest april with these pullets. of course with proper feed and care. and if they are healthy . if the parents were heritage birds it would normally be a bit later like 26=30 weeks before they start laying. its all a guess but if they were mine I would have a nest available no later than mid feb for them to start checking out !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by