1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

When selling chicks locally how do you meet your buyers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fancie, May 13, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Songster

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    Do you invite them to your house or do you find a meeting spot. My hubby is very lery about letting people around our house... but I feel like I'm hiding something when I ask to be met somewhere.

How do you do it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009

2. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Songster

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I would say it all depends on your town and how you feel. The nearest city is 100 miles from me so I often take birds up there for people. When its people in my own town I still often meet at the post office or food store you have. Most people have to go there anywhos. It all depends on the person for me I do have some that come to my house but 4 dogs over 100 lbs along with a NRA lifer sticker on each truck. I have not had a problem as of yet thank goodness. Do what you and your hubby feel is right for you.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  3. Becky_H

Becky_H Songster

When I bought -- I went to the sellers house and that was fine. I'm selling a chick (roo) tomorrow and we're meeting. Honestly, as both I'm just as comfortable and probably mroe so meeting in a public place. It's not particularly safe feeling for ME to go driving to someone else's house either.

4. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Songster

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    I also buy and have done both with a seller I just let them pick what and where they want to meet at.

5. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Songster

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    They come to my house, but not until I am perfectly comfortable with them AND I make sure they know they can't come in my house or yard until my dogs are put away because they bite.

I also make sure that they know we have weird hours for being awake, asleep and home and that someone is here almost all of the time.

It's the truth and I only meet people during the daylight hours and when my husband is home. I'd rather do that than meet someplace where I know no one.

It's a hard decision. Be careful and make sure you have their names and phone numbers. I have caller ID and make sure I do not take private calls. If I see private call, they have to leave a message. If they email me, then I must talk to them on the phone before I will give out any location information.

Hope something in this rambling is helpful.

6. illinichick

illinichick Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    Most people dont meet at home. You are taking a big biosecurity risk when you allow another "bird" person on your property, especially in your coop or bird area. Just meet at a WalMart parking lot or something similiar. I did this with someone and we had another person stop and ask how much we were selling the birds for! Don't take the risk of giving your birds diseases.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by