when shipping eggs do you.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Country Living Farm, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    lay the eggs on the side after wrapping in bubble wrap, put in a catron little end down.... ect,. I am looking for a different way of packing them so I wanted to see what everyone else does. Does it make a difference in laying on side or little end down...

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    somewhere on here there is a step by step method for shipping eggs. Dipsy doodle Doo's... may be on one of her pages.

She is one of the best and almost all of the eggs I got from her developed.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I always ship mine out laying on their sides. I cushion the box with shredded paper & large bubble wrap on all sides of the box. Wrap each egg in smaller bubble wrap and lay them on their side. If I do it just right I can get 21 or 22 in a box if the customer asks for that many. Shredded paper and large bubble wrap on top before closing the box up.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It depends for me, I ship both ways...sometimes in the same box if there are a lot of eggs [​IMG]

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I have shipped mine on their side and upright. It seems to make no difference where fertility is concerned.

6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=17-wrapping-packing-eggs

is
    Dipsy Doodle Doo's method.

I have adopted it with one modification....I put my eggs in a smaller box rather than the large bubble wrap box after they are wrapped. The box keeps them together, the same fashion as the larger bubble wrap and doesn't allow them to rocket against the side of the box. I then surround the box with packings and pack in a USPS mailing box.

If you just put the bubble wrapped eggs in a box, and don't keep them together, in another protective layer as in a bubble wrap holder or a smaller box, they will just bounce against the box, and no matter how large the box or how many inches of pop corn pellets, etc, they can land on the bottom of the box (remember gravity and box tosses do happen.....They may arrive in tact but the egg can be so damaged and they can also arrive visibly crashed as I've had happen as well on received boxes.

This way of packing actually costs a bit more due to extra boxing/bubble wrap but the integrity of the eggs are so much more protected and that's what we all want!

Hope this helps and have a blessed day.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  7. babyriver

babyriver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    N E Florida
    just to put my 2 cents in. I have received 4 boxes of eggs . 2 that said fragile & 2 that did'nt say a thing on them .The 2 that said fragile on them looked like they had been put threw a bombing range & the 2 that didn't came the fartherest and where in great shape.

8. toomanychickens

toomanychickens New Egg

Sep 16, 2009
    funny you say that. I just got some eggs and the box had fragile, hatching egss, this end up stuff on it. Yes the box looked like King Kong sat on it. The eggs were fine though. Other eggs I bought, when I got them with just fragile and no mention of hatching eggs, this end up, ect...Just Fragile on it, the box look perfect. Makes you think the PO is damaging some.........

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by