When shipping newly hatched chicks (heat question) HELP please!!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by AHappychick, May 18, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I have a small chick box ment for 25 chicks, if I am express (not priority) mailing them and have maybe 15-20 do I need a heat sorce like a hand warmer inside under the pad ?

or

should I put the heat pad thing on the outside of the box then tape it down so it does not make them too hot?

or will they be fine with nothing at all?

thanks I have some going out first thing tomorrow I am half way through the hatch now.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. PrinceFarm

PrinceFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    I am no expert at this. I have never shipped chicks but I have bought alot lately. I had 15 marans shipped from Georga to Houston like that and they were fine. There was no heating pad.

Hope it helps. [​IMG]

3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ok I have a thermometer in the box now to see how warm it is with the chicks in it then I guess I will know if they are generating enough heat in there

4. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    I try to ship at least 18 at a time, this time of year they should do fine.....

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I dont have 18 I have 14 maybe 15 some died in the shell and i had thought they would hatch

the thermometer reads 85 degrees I need to do this right. I am replacing chicks to a byc member who had a horrible time with the hatcheries and lost all the chicks cause they were lost in the mail, I dont want to send her sick, cold or dead chicks she has seen that enough, any advise????

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    15 standard size chicks should do fine in an Express shipment as long as they were only hatched within the last 24 hours.

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yes first chick came out early yesterday morning there are 14 I recounted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by