When shoul my hens start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bizzeeb60, Jun 25, 2008.

1. bizzeeb60

bizzeeb60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    I got my chickens in mid February and they were already 30 days old. Shouldn't the hens begin laying soon? [​IMG]

Do I need to do anything to get them to start? Will they just go into the nesting box on their own?

I started them on laying mash (under the advice of the feed store employee) a few weeks ago when I needed to buy a new bag of feed.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I thnik it is around 20 weeks.

3. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    From what I understand they won't lay until they are 7 to 8 months old. My chicks are 5 months and not laying yet and I don't expect them to for at least 3 more months.
    Your chicks are to young for laying mash. They need to be on starter/grower. If you got them in Feb (depends on when if Feb) and they were 30 days old that still makes them at the most 6 months old.
    Don't rush them. Like children walking - it will happen when it happens.

4. rebeccakeesee

rebeccakeesee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Yeah You wont be expecting eggs till sept-oct. But just like little ladies and their cycle It will just surprise you both one day. No special attention required. Accept you will wanna switch them to laying pellets around that time for the calcium. [​IMG]

5. gypsygirl1421

gypsygirl1421 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Albany, NY
    I got my chickens as day olds on Feb 17. They laid their first egg on May 27 and I am now getting about 4 per day. These are red stars and EE's. I have about 9 EE eggs. Saturday was exciting because I got my first triple yolker!

6. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Your pullets are a little young. Most begin to lay around 24 weeks I believe. One thing you want to do is keep them on a grower feed untill they begin to lay. If you give too much calcium to a young bird it can hurt them. Once they begin to lay switch to the layer feed and offer oyster shell as well. In order to help them "find" the nest boxes and know what they are for you can place golf balls or plastic eggs in them. I hope this helps!

7. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    Quote:Congrats. I raised chickens for years and never had a hen lay at that age. What are you feeding those girls? The youngest hen I ever had that layed an egg was an EE at 5 1/2 months and then it took another month before she was laying one egg a day.

8. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I think egg laying is a breed trait. I wasn't working when our ladies started laying, so I got to see each first egg as it was laid. [​IMG] This is the advantage of unemployment..

Here's our flocks ages when they laid their first eggs....

Silver Lakenvelder 4 mos 18 days
    Gold Laced Wyandotte 4 mos 21 days
    Silver Laced Wyandotte 4 mos 23 days
    Americauna/Araucana 4 mos 28 days
    Partridge Plymouth Rock 4 mos 29 days
    Rhode Island Red 4 mos 30 days
    Jersey Black Giant 5 mos 0 days
    White Wyandotte 5 mos 4 days
    Buttercup 5 mos 5 days
    White Faced Black Spanish 5 mos 10 days
    Columbian Wyandotte 5 mos 13 days
    Ancona 5 mos 17 days
    Buff Orpington 5 mos 18 days
    Delaware 5 mos 20 days
    Gold Penciled Hamburg 5 mos 21 days
    Dominique 5 mos 22 days
    Silver Spangled Hamburg 5 mos 25 days

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  9. bizzeeb60

bizzeeb60 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Frostproof, FL
    Thanks so much for all of the help. We actually got the chicks February 15th, they were 30 days old then. They are OEG/Wheaton mix.

[​IMG]

this one of the ladies (Hester) on May 31, 2008

I will try putting the plastic eggs in the nesting boxes too.

[​IMG]

10. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I have a mix of hens (breeds) and I got them Feb 15 when they were a day old and two days ago I got my first egg. I have had three eggs in two days. So excited!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by