When should Ameraucana develop muff and beard

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ncCHICKS, Oct 13, 2008.

1. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    I bought a 7 week old, and both parents had muff and beard. Did I get jipped *all he has is Ameracaunas* or what, mine doesn't have either muff or beard

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    You would see them by now, I can tell at hatch when they dry if they will have muffs and beard. I have some clean faced also that I know were true ameraucana. Some just come out clean faced [​IMG] but I don't think you should use this to breed if that is what you intend. I am just keeping mine for the pretty eggs, not to hatch her eggs because she is clean faced. If you post a pic we should be able to let you know if it is a proper ameraucana color.

3. ncCHICKS

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    I just have them for the joy of them. I have a dominique, RIR, and her. All hens, just eggs, no need for roos here [​IMG]

Maybe I didn't look good,

DOES ANYONE HAVE PICS OF YOUNG ONES AROUND 6-10 WEEKS

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Ideal Hatchery stock, both pullets have nice full beards (Bearded Chicks!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jed1154

jed1154 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    ^
    |
    |

Arent those Araucanas and not Ameraucanas?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  6. ncCHICKS

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    Quote:No, Araucanas are rumpless/tailless

7. BeardedChick

Yep - definitely Ameraucanas.

The only thing I don't like about mine is they are real easter bunnies - they usually hide their eggs somewhere in the free range yard. I have noooo idea where & rarely get to eat blue eggs. Boo hoo! Blue is my favorite!!

8. ncCHICKS

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    I really need to get some pics up! Hope fully tomorrow, tonight... I PAINT THE COOP [​IMG]

9. jed1154

jed1154 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    No, Araucanas are rumpless/tailless

gotcha. I was mistaken. I dont have any yet, but i thought the ones in the pics didnt have much of a tail. However, after seeing closeups of Araucanas i see that they have abosolutely no tail whatsoever.[​IMG]

10. BeardedChick

I think Ameraucanas can display the rumpless characteristic. My neighbor has some that are rumpless.

My other pullets (Delaware and Faverolle) that were the same age as those in the pix had the same amount of tail feathers.

They all have regular old chicken-looking tail feathers now that they are older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by