When should chickens be eating more than starter/grower food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kmhfuzzhead, Jun 28, 2008.

1. kmhfuzzhead

kmhfuzzhead Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    Arizona
    I am completely new at this....I got my chickens as pullets the end of May but still not positive as to their exact age. I am concerned that the grower/starter food might not be enough nutrition for them. Should they be eating scratch by now? And when can they have all the wonderful treats I have been reading about?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Post pic's - folks might be able to age them for you. Are they laying eggs?

I don't feed scratch in summer - its just a little treat and I only give it in the cold months, a cup morning and night for my bunch. Summer they get sunflower seeds as a snack, morning and night - plus they get any goodies from the kitchen.

3. kmhfuzzhead

Jun 27, 2008
    Arizona
    Okay I will try and post pics.....can I do it here with my message or do I post pics some where else?
    Um no they aren't laying yet....I was told they don't lay until about four months old? They do like the hay I have put in their boxes and they form little spots they like........Geez I feel really stupid!

4. kmhfuzzhead

Jun 27, 2008
    Arizona
    Here are pics of my chickens I truly have no idea how old they are???????? What do you think? And can you tell the difference between Sex Links and Americanas?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Starter/Grower has all the nutrients growing chicks need til they are at point of lay age...then layer feeds....

Scratch is used for Fall and Winter feedings in the evening to help keep their body heat in with cold weather .......

They look like sex-links and rirs....10 to 12 weeks or so

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by