when should I expect egg #2 and eggs from other hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CheerfulHeart2, Apr 9, 2009.

1. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hi All,
    Our six 20 or so week old Black Australorps are starting to look all grown up and a few squat and they are getting more and more vocale. We got our first egg on Saturday, five days ago. (yippee! My mother was even more excited than I and took it around to show all the relatives in town and sent a picture to the rest.) It is the only egg so far. Should I be concerned that egg #2 has yet to appear? Should I be worried the others haven't started to lay yet? The only super odd behavior was one night 3 hens didn't go to bed in the coop on their own. They were obsessed with dust baths and wanted to stay in the dirt. Oh, my chickens free range in the back yard. I have been looking aroud for hidden eggs to no avail. So main question, "should I be concerned that egg #2 has yet to arrive?

(PS I think we had a high of 90 one day.)

2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    We received our first egg 3 weeks ago from our 22 week old barred rock. Then the leghorns and the rest of the chickens started laying a little later. It took about 3 weeks before the last pullet laid her 1st egg.

20 weeks is pretty early - no worries, the rest will be following soon.

3. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    It will be fine, they're just teasing you.

As the previous poster said, 20 weeks is pretty early, so be patient.

4. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thank you. They all seem pretty happy and healthy, but getting one egg made me wonder if something was wrong in not getting a second at least from that hen.. I appreciate your responses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by