When should I expect eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duckncover, Dec 10, 2009.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I have 4 bantam chickens that are 1 year old and I got them a week or so ago...when should I expect eggs?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    With the stress of the move they could be up to a month before laying again. Sorry to rain on your parade. [​IMG]

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    March is a safe bet

4. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    It depends on the stress of the move. I got 2 18 month old hens from a woman that kept them completely inside. When I brought them home, they thought they had come to chicken heaven and I got an egg the very next day. They have layed almost everyday since; even with the reduced light and temps they are still kicking out at least one egg a day and sometimes I'm getting 2.

5. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    Quote:Same with mine - I bought 20 Isa Browns from a omish auction. They actually layed several eggs in the crates on the way home!!

6. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    On survivor - their chickens seemed to lay eggs immediately - Or do you think that was staged! Talk about stressed those poor chickens had to have been stressed! And then they ate them!

Poor babies
    Cal
    JAX FL

7. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    They might need encouragement. Try bringing home a bucket of KFC and place the empty bucket outside, but leave the bones in it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by