When should I expect eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kim's Chix, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Kim's Chix

Kim's Chix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2010
    I have two drakes and two ducks that I bought as babies last spring. One pair are "tuxedo" ducks (black with white bibs) And the other are not. One male is a blue splash, and the other female is brown with a white bib. (I don't know what breed they are). I also have a goose in the pen with them. She gets along with them fine. My question is, the males have already been exhibiting "mating" Behaviors. Should I be expecting eggs any time soon?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    With mine usually once mating begins the eggs aren't far behind maybe 2-3 weeks.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  3. seachainanmadra

seachainanmadra Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    I have two ducks (and a drake) that were hatched in April 2014, and two that were hatched in July/August 2014. In each pair, one girl is roughly three weeks older than the other. Got my first egg two weeks ago, and now have three of the four girls laying an egg a day. Not sure who the holdout is, but considering that at least one from each set is laying, they started at 9/10 months for the older pair and 6/7 months for the younger pair. From what I've read, it's not uncommon for the girls to wait until the early spring in the year following their hatch to begin laying.

Incidentally, my drake began mating the older girls in the late summer, and the younger girls in October when I added them to the flock, so mating isn't always an indicator that they are going to begin laying. I didn't notice any changes in appearance or behavior that indicated that my girls were about to start laying, and I think it was quite a surprise to them too. The first eggs always seem to be dropped wherever the girls happen to be standing at the time, but after a few days, they seem to get the idea and each began to build their own nest and bury the eggs for safe keeping.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I guess it depends on the duck breed, since I have Muscovy it's always been once breeding season starts the eggs begin. I guess it isn't that way with all breeds especially ducks with out a drake or production breeds that are bred for laying.

5. Kim's Chix

Kim's Chix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2010
    The ducks are laying![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by