When should i expect her to lay again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amethyste, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

My one EE hen has been broody for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time, and she finally has some chicks she is rearing up. They are all about 7 weeks old now.

How long should I expect her to wait until she starts laying again? Or is she just al screwed up from being broody for so long?

Dumb birdie...we tried EVERYTHING we could think of to de-broody her and it wasnt to be. We finally gave in after dealing with her broodiness for months...at least 6.

It doesnt matter to us if she wil lay or not...just not sure if we should expect anything or not...

Thanks!

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    They usually don't eat or drink normally while they are broody..so it might take her a long while to get built back up and start to lay---SIX months is a very long time..Glad she finally has babies...

3. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

i know!!!

We did the ice water, the wire cage and so on...every time we would think she was broke...nope

Right back into being broody again. It just got to the point where we said fine... have babies lol

4. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    The same happened to my silkie I have 4 little chicks running around now. I have 3 girls I am scared of the next time anyone goes broody as what am I going to do with all the extra chickens.lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by