When should I find my rooster chick a new home?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DeAnna314, Jul 11, 2010.

1. DeAnna314

DeAnna314 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have 6 week old chicks. One is a lovely cochin frizzle and I am sure a rooster. He will be a gorgeous bird but I can't keep roosters. Although chickens are allowed, I am in a neighborhood so roosters may be a bad idea. He is quite bossy in the brooder and I am seriously thinking of finding him a new home sooner rather than later. Are there any reasons why I should wait for the sake of the other birds? I assume it's not a big deal but he seems to have a very influential position already. One concern is that he actually seems to sometimes block some chickens from food. Thanks

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    No reason why you can't find a home for him now, except if you aren't sure he's a roo. Otherwise, find him a good home. [​IMG]

3. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    I'm in the same boat as you... I have (for sure) one rooster (maybe two) that I must get rid of before he starts crowing. He's atleast like 10 weeks old now yet I haven't heard one crow yet! Good luck, and no, I wouldn't think that the others would necessarily miss him.

4. DeAnna314

DeAnna314 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    cool...thanks
    poor guy. He's the very best looking of the bunch too. Oh well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by