when should i give up and turn the bator off and throw eggs out?

showjumper_girl2002

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Florida
i have 8 fully developed scovy eggs that are 7 days over due, some were moving a few days ago and one a day ago but nothing else. do i need to throw them out now or wait longer? nothing is stinky yet
hu.gif

7 days after due date, I would open them up, very carefully.. But don't exspect the out come to be good, if I'm wrong that;s great for you.... if you see any blood, stick them back in. Sometimes if you tap on the shell you can either hear them chirp or you can hear them tapping on the shell, sounds like something scratching on the shell. If you don't hear nothing, start opening...

Quote:
from day 1-32 the temp was always 99.5 and humidity 60% at lockdown it was always 98.5 and 70% there are a few that i'm almost positive are gone and i think i might try opening them up. i'm a little hesitant on the one that was moving yesterday though
hide.gif
this is my first time trying to hatch so i don't really know when to quit unless they are stinky. i'm really sad that none hatched
hit.gif

Quote:
is there a certain way i should open the egg?

Oh gosh yes start with the larger end, that's usually where they Air cell is, I usually use tweezers, I use the very tip and poke a small hole. Try the tapping first, make sure there's no noise. If you hear noise put him back in to cook (sort of speaking)..

I stressed at opening the eggs, especially if I thought they were no longer alive. I had to prepare myself. It was so aweful. BUT I did help some out of the shell and have a few extra turkey poults because of that; and I could access the cause of death in the others to be better aware next time.

I totally understand your distress! This is a learning experience. Try again. Remember the story of Edison and the lightbulb . . . . ?

Quote:
is there a certain way i should open the egg?

Oh gosh yes start with the larger end, that's usually where they Air cell is, I usually use tweezers, I use the very tip and poke a small hole. Try the tapping first, make sure there's no noise. If you hear noise put him back in to cook (sort of speaking)..

sorry for all the questions but i've never done this before
hide.gif
after i put a hole in the big end then what?

Quote:

sorry for all the questions but i've never done this before
hide.gif
after i put a hole in the big end then what?

Peel the shell away...

Back
Top Bottom