when should I give up?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chookchik, Feb 12, 2013.

1. chookchik

chookchik Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2012
    My eggs are in lockdown and today should be hatch day. There is no sign of anything. If they don't hatch today should I leave them in another day or two or is it over?

Thanks!

2. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Another day or 2. You may have miscounted or had temp problems so before you toss them make sure to candle.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I once had an entire batch of eggs under a broody hen hatch late. They started hatching on day 22 and the last one hatched on day 25! Don't worry if they don't start hatching exactly on time. Give them time and like the above poster said, candle them and check before tossing them.

4. chookchik

Dec 19, 2012
    I candled on day 17 and there was movement, today is day 21. I'll leave them 4 more days.

What am I looking for when I candle them today? Aren't they really crammed in there so there wont be much movement? Is there something else I should look for? I don't want to disturb them too much.

Thanks for the replies!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Leave them, sit on your hands! If there's no sign or sound on day 22 you can candle and tap them. Hold the egg against your ear and tap it with your fingernail. Listen for a response from the chick. But leave them now. I know it's hard, been there, done that, went crazy with that hen hatch I mentioned above when day 21 came and went and nothing happened. It's early still, so go for a walk or do something to distract yourself.

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    In your candling check the air cell, if it is not shrunk you HAD too much humidity in you hatcher.

7. chookchik

Dec 19, 2012
    It's 11:50pm and I checked on the eggs... and there is life!! One of the eggs been cracked!! Only 2 out of 7 made it this far (there is a reason 5 of them were from my chochin/silkie's and the temp was wrong for them. They didn't take at all).

Hopefully I'll be able to post chick pics in the morning! I'm so excited I can hardly sleep!!
    Yay!!

8. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Let them hatch themselves, day 22 is not unusual, if you only get one chick remember to keep her indoors till 6 weeks, and feed her lots of protein have mirrors and stuffed toys to keep her company, I also use hand made mini quilts they like that, or rags. any eggs that don't hatch, you can peek inside to decide what went wrong.

10. chookchik

Dec 19, 2012
    The other egg is hatching too!! Yay! and there was a little bit more progress on the first egg.

How long does it take for them to hatch out completely? Should I be worried if I get home today and they aren't out of the egg yet? This is my first hatch and my husband says I worry too much... When should I worry?

I'm getting the brooder set up.

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by