When should I introduce the older chicks

Jacstar

Hatching
Oct 22, 2015
Hi all. Just wanting some feedback on when I should introduce my eldest chicks to the flock. Currently I have 9 chicks that are 11 weeks old (5 pullets and 4 cockerels... I think lol) I have and original flock of 7 girls. One of those has 5 of her own 6 week old chicks that she has already introduced to the flock. Wondering when I should put in the others? Is it ok to keep all 4 cockerels? I have no idea if the 5 silkie chicks are male or female yet either. Appreciate any feedback on others experiences :)

I integrate my chicks early by giving them a safe space within the coop, a sectioned off area that they can retreat to, with door opening small enough that the big girls can't follow them. Azygous has some nice pics of the little pop door she made to allow the little ones to squirt through to the land of the bigs. Then, if the bigs get aggressive, they can squirt back through to their safe haven. You're most likely to have difficulty between the Mama and her chicks with these older chicks. Mama is going to be on high alert to fend off these new intruders. As far as keeping extra cockerels, IMO, you'll have a hard time with flock dynamics. Depends on how much room you have, and if you have the space to separate them if needed.

Thanks for the info. I do have quite a large coop so I'm thinking the cockerels might be ok considering they've all been together since they hatched and have pretty much sorted out their own pecking order... but who knows.... I may have to move a couple on if it doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom