when should I let my chicks not be under the heat light all the time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clucker farms, Jun 21, 2016.

1. clucker farms

clucker farms Just Hatched

Jun 20, 2016
    Right know i have three baby chicks and they around two to three weeks. i got my first group of chickens when the where a month old and i put them under the light and then i read a story that said month old chicken should be good without a light during the summer. So I got three baby chicks and I just don't know when to take them out from under the light. Help plz [​IMG][​IMG]

2. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    When they're nice and crispy!

3. Poticus

Poticus Just Hatched

Jun 9, 2016
    Louisiana
    Depends where you live. I have some one month old chicks that have been without a light for a week. I live in south Louisiana though. It only gets down to the upper 70s lower 80s at night and it's extremely humid. What's the weather like where you live?

4. clucker farms

Jun 20, 2016
    I live in georgia and it does not get too cold at night it is probably just like where you live

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You can try them without the heat source and observe them. If they cuddle together and chirp, then they are cold. If you observe them avoiding the heat source, then they are too warm.

CT

Oh, and nice one BBQJoe[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  6. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Your chicks are feathered...I would take the heat away. Mine have been living outside in the coop and run without heat since they were 3 weeks old. They will be fine.

7. clucker farms

Jun 20, 2016
    Do you have the light on during the winter. My chicks lid in a little coop but my older chicken live in the big coop and they don't use the light right now but the little ones do. Should I use the light during the winter

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  8. chickens really

I use a heat lamp in the winter once the temp gets below minus 10. I live in Canada

9. chickens really

Also post your location so people can better answer your threads..Welcome.

10. clucker farms

Jun 20, 2016
    I live in Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by