when should I move a broody hen to the brooder?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wingin' it, Sep 8, 2009.

1. wingin' it

wingin' it Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    We have decided, for the first time, to leave some eggs with a broody hen to see if they will hatch. When I moved one hen ( a Silkie) and the 4 eggs she was sitting on from the coop to the brooder, she lost interest and ignored the eggs. She did lay one more in the brooder...did I move her too soon? We have another hen ( Black cochin) sitting on 3 eggs right now in the nesting box in the coop and she appears to be committed to taking care of the eggs. Since the hens have eaten eggs in the past, I feel like I need to move them to keep them safe. Is there a good way to do this so that she will keep sitting on them after she's moved into the brooder?

2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    move her into the brooder and have her sit on some fake eggs for a while. once your sure shes commited to the new nest, then put your hatching eggs under her. That way the eggs wont go bad while shes fussing and deciding whether the new nest is comfy.

and maybe if you do it at night she wont notice/fuss.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    What is she sitting in right now? My nesting boxes were empty cat litter pails and 5 gal buckets, so when a girl went broody, I could pick her up nest and all and move her.

Generally, moving at night when they're sleeping is more effective and moving before giving them eggs. When you notice they went broody, move her, give her fake eggs and wait a day or so until she picks what spot of the brooder she's nesting in. When she's settled, swap out the fake eggs for real eggs. That way, if her broodiness breaks up then you're not stuck with partially incubated eggs.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    If a hen is still laying, she's not ready to begin brooding. Wait until she's setting on the eggs all day & night, puffing up & screeching at you when disturbed. Move her well after dark, try to move her nest with her if you can. Keep her new location shaded for a few days until you know she's taken to it. Good luck!

5. wingin' it

Sep 8, 2009
    What should I do with the eggs she is sitting on now ( the ones I want to hatch) while waiting for her to get settled? Should I let her sit on them until I am sure she is done laying or should I collect and store them? She is on the nest all day and puffs up when I come close, but I think she may still be laying. Of course, they could be eggs from another hen, I'm not sure.
    She is in a fixed nesting box in the coop, so it is not something I can move with her.
    I appreciate the advice!

6. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    where did the eggs come from? If their ones your hens are laying, collect some new ones, because (how long has she been sitting) the ones shes on now may have started to develop and could die when you move her if she kicks up a fuss

7. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    This summer I let 2 hens hatch eggs. After I was sure she was broody I marked the eggs she was sitting on. The other hens will sneak into the nest and lay eggs while she is off eating and stuff. I never moved them until the eggs were hatching then I waited until night and moved hen and eggs sometimes a chick or two into the brooder.

Good luck!!

8. wingin' it

Sep 8, 2009
    sorry to reply so late...but I want to thank you all. We have decided to wait until spring. The hens have been broody for so long, we don't know if they will be in it for the long run. We have several who get broody in the spring ( Bantam cochins) so we'll let them sit on some eggs then.
    I appreciate the advice....now we know how to go about moving them into the brooder! I'll let you know when we move ahead with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by