When should I offer access to the nest box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenbike, Aug 10, 2008.

1. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

I have the Forsham ark design and my girls are 11.5 weeks old (Patridge Chanteclers).

I have kept access to the nest box closed so they didn't make it a roost/sleep area. What would be a good age to open the door to the nest box?

They'll be 18 weeks at the end of Sept, I was thinking maybe allowing access in mid-Sept?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I don't know how old this breed is when they generally start laying. If you do some research and find out, I'd open up the nest boxes about two weeks before that age, just in case you get an earlier egg layer.

3. chickenbike

From what I've read, they should be in that 18-20 week range to start laying. I'll open it up a couple weeks before as you say.....thanks for your help.

4. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    All three of my girls started visiting the nestbox about two weeks before they actually started laying. They went through the motions of playing "house" I call it, with the arranging of the golf balls and the bedding, and the trilling noises...it was adorable.
    I have red sex links, all the same age, and one laid her first at 16 weeks, one at 18, and one at 20, so it can really vary. I set up the nest box at about 15 weeks, and it was a good thing! But from what I have learned here, they are bred to lay early and regularly, not sure about your girls.
    Get ready for the fun!!!

5. chickenbike

Never would have thought to put golf balls in the nest! Nice idea....I'll add some and see how it goes. I'm guessing just 2 or so will work?

6. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    Yup, that's what I used. Another great idea I learned here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by