When should I put a safety hole in a call duck egg?

Pics

Cheems

Songster
Apr 10, 2022
Hi, so I am new to hatching, so far I've only hatched 1 batch of chicks before that was quite simple. I recently got some call duck eggs shipped, and 4 made it to lockdown for the first group, I have them in a separate incubator for lockdown. I am on day 26 and I know one egg has for sure internally pipped, the others I believe so but I am not sure because I didn't want to leave the incubator open for long, they are very active and all 4 eggs have been shaking a little bit. I was wondering, should I make a safety hole? Some of the eggs are show/breeder quality, while others are pet quality. The air sacs are on the smaller side and I am not exactly sure when the first egg internally pipped, because this morning I went and saw them moving and I checked while also drawing the air sac outline. It could have been any time during the night. I haven't been checking the eggs for internal pipping too much, but I am worried about some of the eggs from ducks that are show quality not having enough oxygen due to them not being able to externally pip.

It's generally advised to only put a hole in the egg only if it is really needed. With Call ducks, a hole in the egg for breathing isn't going to really do much unless if they have failed to externally pip after 36 hours. The reason is because the pip itself should happen automatically as a reflex from the declining oxygen levels. If, after 24-36 hours, there is nothing, then it is advisable to do an external hole. However, help should be very spartan in nature and only if there is some kind of problem with the hatching itself.
Hope they hatch well!

I personally make safety holes around 16-ish hours after internal pip. I don't look at the clock, but I give them time to try and work it out on their own. I believe that the recommended time is no more than 24 hours from internal pip.
Thank you!

It's generally advised to only put a hole in the egg only if it is really needed. With Call ducks, a hole in the egg for breathing isn't going to really do much unless if they have failed to externally pip after 36 hours. The reason is because the pip itself should happen automatically as a reflex from the declining oxygen levels. If, after 24-36 hours, there is nothing, then it is advisable to do an external hole. However, help should be very spartan in nature and only if there is some kind of problem with the hatching itself.
Hope they hatch well!
Thank you, but I feel like call ducks aren't exactly from nature and have been changed a lot, especially because these eggs are more on the show quality end and they are probably going to struggle with externally pipping, but I didn't know the ducklings start external pipping once there is low oxygen levels, I will keep that in mind :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom