When should I put my baby chicks with the older chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by indego_88, Jan 18, 2009.

1. indego_88

indego_88 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Australia
    My 2 Wyandotte babies are 10 weeks old and my 4 older chickens are around 25-27 weeks… are my younger ones old enough to go in with the big ones?

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    here's what I would do. One afternoon when I had time to watch them, put the younger ones out. The dominant birds will show them who's boss right away. If they don't continue to hound the younger ones after an hour or so, it is okay.

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    We put ours in a fenced-off section of the coop for a week or two, so everyone would get used to everyone else... They let them out with the rest. Worked fine.

4. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    I placed my babies in a large cage inside the coop so the others could get used to them. After the babies were about 4 weeks old I let them out and I never saw one inch of trouble with any of the birds. They all got along as though they had always been together.

The only thing you might need to be careful of is the weather. I mixed my chickens in the summer months while it was really hot and there was no need for a heat lamp. I'm sure you would need to have heat wherever you are this time of year.

Good luck!

5. indego_88

indego_88 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Australia
    thanks for your replies.. i actually tired putting them in there with the other chickens earlier today but as soon as they got pecked they panicked completely and ran around madly. I hated seeing that happen so I took them out and put them in the cage which is next to the big ones.
    Is it really bad if they get pecked a bit? Can a chick get badly injured?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by