When Should I Put My Chicks Out in the Coop.........

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gavinandallison, Aug 2, 2010.

1. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    My wife and I are first time chick growers, and have 5 4 week old Plymouth Barred Rock chicks in our brooder (second one as they have grown so much). They have been outside in their coop and run for visits, seem to enjoy it, so we are wondering when we should put them outside for good. Is there any good rule of thumb? I thought about 8 weeks, or is this too late/soon?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

8 weeks is when I usually put mine out.... except this last batch of four chicks, which I put outside at 4 weeks because the new coop was ready and it was warm enough at night for them to need the heating lamp ONLY TWO NIGHTS. After that, no need.

The new coop has an attached pen, so it's in place INSIDE the chicken run, and perfect as a "grow out" coop for segregation and integration. In a while I'll open the door from the attached pen so the chicks who will be 8 wks old this coming weekend will be able to come out.... and the Big Chickens can go in to check out the little ones' digs.

I may have to keep them locked in it longer, because they're still small... but since I have bantams too, I'm hoping the smaller size of the new chicks won't be that big a deal to everyone else.

[​IMG]

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    As long as your temps aren't to cold which I can't beleive they would be in this time of year your girls would be fine in a secure coop. We moved ours out at 3 1/2 weeks in June and their doing great. You might want to leave them in the coop for a few days so that the learn where home is .We did this with ours and they went back in the coop at dusk on their own.Sure beats chasing them around at dark to put them to bed.

Dan

4. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

two months [​IMG]

5. gavinandallison

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Am leaning to the 8 week mark, when I am off for a week, can keep an eye on them to see how they do in their new surrounds.

6. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    I'm in agreement for 8 weeks.

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I put my last 2 batches out in the coop at about 4 or 5 weeks. The temperature is fairly moderate here in the NW. Still rather cool in the mornings, and yet everyone has thrived without any trauma.

8. gavinandallison

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    The girls are going crazy inside now....

They knock over their waterer, infact have found one sat ontop of it this morning, so am thinking that they may be ready to go out. Anyone else agree with me? They are acting like they have cabin fever and want to be in the open...

It is warm in the day here 85 to 90, and drops to mid 70's at night so I think they'll be warm enough, feathers are coming through on a daily basis and they seem to grow overnight....

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  9. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    My last batch was out at 5 weeks since it's been so hot out, and they are loving it! I guess when you're a chick 90-95 degree weather feels pretty nice!

10. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    Yep, mine went into the coop, which was inside the garage, at four weeks. That might be cheating, but it was really hot and I was going to be out of town for two weeks. I didn't bring their coop outside until a few weeks later, though we did go outside for a while when I was in town to take them. I agree with atimme: they didn't pant at all outside unless it was over 100.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by