When should I Put Straw in my Nest Boxes if my chickens are not of age to lay yet?

Mycrazypets

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2021
South Dakota
Hi there!
My chicks are 9 weeks old and are getting moved into the coop finally this week. I was wondering when I should setup my nesting boxes and put straw in them or if it’s possible to do it too early.

Also thoughts on best thing to put in nesting boxes?

You can set them up now or wait until they're a little older. If you're worried about them sleeping in the nests, block off the nests when they first move out, then once they're reliably roosting, you can remove whatever's blocking the nest.

I haven't had a need to block off nests for the most part as I've never had chicks try to sleep in them, but I do have some sheets of cardboard on hand if I ever need to cover them (like a broken broody that's at the tail end of broodiness might try to slip into a nest one last night).

I like to open/install nests after 15 weeks old, I currently have them blocked off.
20210613_201745.jpg
20210613_201842.jpg
At the same time I offer Oyster Shells in a separate container.
I currently have Pullets nearly 13 weeks old. I'll open nests in a couple of weeks and put shavings or straw and ceramic eggs in nests.
20181213_091216.jpg

GC
ETA; I've used straw and shavings in coops and nests, but prefer shavings, I find them more absorbent. Pic with straw is from 3 years ago.

Last edited:
I like to open/install nests after 15 weeks old, I currently have them blocked off. View attachment 2792515View attachment 2792517 At the same time I offer Oyster Shells in a separate container.
I currently have Pullets nearly 13 weeks old. I'll open nests in a couple of weeks and put shavings or straw and ceramic eggs in nests. View attachment 2792519
GC
ETA; I've used straw and shavings in coops and nests, but prefer shavings, I find them more absorbent. Pic with straw is from 3 years ago.
Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom