When should I remove eggs from broody?

Nenad

Songster
May 4, 2021
Serbia, Bačka Palanka
My bantam pullet is broody, she is sitting on her 2 eggs that are developing good and on 9 shipped eggs. Her eggs were set under her on 10th february. Shipped eggs on 18th february. When should I remove hers two eggs from under her? When I her internal or external pip? Shipped eggs are normal sized and late 7-8 days. If I leave hers 2 she will hatch those and then abamdon shipped ones. I will incubate 2 of hers but Im wondering how early should I take them from her? Will she continue to sit on shipped ones if she hears her chicks calling under her? Will she sit if she hears them when they hatch under her and I remove them? Thank you

A staggered hatch is far from ideal,,,, but it is what you are dealing with now. Lets see the best solution.
I would remove the 2 eggs on day 18. Tonyroo does make a good point to candle them then. Place them into incubator. You only have 3 days to hatch. They do not need turning in those last days. Have humidity up in incubator for best results. 60 to 70% will work.
When they hatch, you need to keep them in a brooder with a heat source. When the other 9 eggs hatch, slip these 2 chicks under her. Since your 2 chicks are small banties, they will fit in line with the regular size chicks (9) that will hatch a week later.
Also consider that not all eggs will always hatch out. :old :(

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

A staggered hatch is far from ideal,,,, but it is what you are dealing with now. Lets see the best solution.
I would remove the 2 eggs on day 18. Tonyroo does make a good point to candle them then. Place them into incubator. You only have 3 days to hatch. They do not need turning in those last days. Have humidity up in incubator for best results. 60 to 70% will work.
When they hatch, you need to keep them in a brooder with a heat source. When the other 9 eggs hatch, slip these 2 chicks under her. Since your 2 chicks are small banties, they will fit in line with the regular size chicks (9) that will hatch a week later.

Those 2 eggs are bantam eggs not large fowl eggs.

Hey, I was just wondering if I let those 2 eggs under her to when they internaly pip or externaly, will she still sit on other eggs if she hears those two calling from under her? If remove then when they internaly pip, will she continue to sit?

Hey, I was just wondering if I let those 2 eggs under her to when they internaly pip or externaly, will she still sit on other eggs if she hears those two calling from under her? If remove then when they internaly pip, will she continue to sit?
I really don't have an answer to that one.. My only logical thinking is.. When a couple chicks hatch,,, not sure hen will remain sitting on the remaining ones very long. I'm sure 2 or 3 days would be of no concern,,,,,, but 7 or 8 might bring about changes not desired.
My thinking of removing the eggs 3 days before due date is still best option. This way your small banties will be slightly larger when you introduce back to mama. :thumbsup By about a week of growth. Lets say somewhat similar in size to the newborn chicks.
I am not a chicken psychiatrist or rocket scientist :gig,,, but this is how I evaluate situation if all was left alone. 2 chicks hatch. for the first 2 days they don't really need to eat. (that is how it is possible to ship chicks via postal service). The chicks stay snug as a bug under mama. Then about day 3,, hunger may kick in. chicks venture out looking for breakfast. Mama having safety concern for her children may jump off nest to protect her children:love. Later returning,, the eggs she was sitting on may be cold. and tooooooo late:hit
Hope this helps clear up some questions:hugs

Back
Top Bottom