When should I separate my roosters?

Jul 1, 2019
New Mexico
Hi!

When should I separate my two eight-week-old cockerels from my two same-age pullets? I was planning to put one cockerel with my thirteen big hens, but realized he might get picked on by himself. Another option is to put all four eight-week-olds with the big chickens. I can also put one cockerel and one pullet in a separate coop from the other cockerel and pullet. What should I do?

The pullets won't really be interesting to the cockerels until they reach point of lay, so you have another 3 months before there will be any problems. You said you have 13 other hens. 15 to 2 is pretty good female to male ratio. Of course, they might fight anyway, but I'd wait and see. Two roosters can sometimes coexist peacefully. And if there is a problem, it makes more sense to get rid of the aggressive rooster than to keep him separated.

The pullets won't really be interesting to the cockerels until they reach point of lay, so you have another 3 months before there will be any problems. You said you have 13 other hens. 15 to 2 is pretty good female to male ratio. Of course, they might fight anyway, but I'd wait and see. Two roosters can sometimes coexist peacefully. And if there is a problem, it makes more sense to get rid of the aggressive rooster than to keep him separated.
Okay, thanks! I think one cockerel is a lot more dominant than the other, so hopefully they won't have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom