when should I start candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster0209, Apr 28, 2008.

1. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    When should I start to candle and what should I look for?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I candle around day 7 - 10. With a very bright light you will see veins growing inside the egg indicting the devlopment of the embryo. You might even see the black eye spot moving and swirling inside!

3. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Depending on the egg color, normally people will first candle day 7-10. Look for veins, the embryo(or I should say the eye of the embryo, its so big [​IMG])and movement from the embryo. Good Luck [​IMG]

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Most have no idea of what to look for,
    follow MissPrissy's advice. Personally, I don't candle until day 24. When I do use an bator, I get my temp and humidity where is should be and leave it closed. I only add water if the humidity goes down or at day 18.
    I love it when a hen hides her eggs and goes broody. All of a sudden, here she comes with her chicks. You see i have about 15 acres of mountian side fenced that my chickens free range on. Most of this has blackberrys and brush for them to hide in. I can't always tell which hen is where all the time. Last year I had 275 go broody at the same time, drove me crazy.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:You candle them 3 days after they hatch? [​IMG]

6. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I candle at day 6-7 then day 10,14 and 18. I probally candle too much but I love the watch the changes in the embryo and see if one I thought was not developing was moving around.

1 person likes this.
  7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Quote:You candle them 3 days after they hatch? [​IMG]

I was about to ask the same thing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by