When Should I Start Feeding Pullets Laying Mash?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ilovefarming, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Ilovefarming

Ilovefarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2014
    My pullets are 16 weeks old today. Are they old enough to be fed laying mash yet?

Thanks.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No. Don't press it. Layer feed, pellets/crumbles/mash won't cause them to lay eggs. It merely has 4 times the calcium of grower feed to replace that lost in the medullary bone used to build shells. Until they actually make a shell, they don't need it.
    This time of year, unless you're adding light to lengthen the day, there's no telling when they'll lay.
    If it were spring or you had a lighting program, you still wouldn't start layer till at least 18 weeks - or when you get the first egg.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  3. Ilovefarming

Ilovefarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2014
    Okay, thanks!!!! [​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Another option is to feed an 'all flock' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat.

Have calcium available at all times for the layers, oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

The higher protein crumble offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by