when should I start getting worried??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by koakritters, Mar 16, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    my eggs were "due" on sunday, but with the temperature being too low for the first couple days i planned on them hatching late. 2 were born yesterday afternoon and now it's tues night- about 30 hours since the last one, and i've had nothing happening with the rest. at what point should i start getting worried they won't hatch?

2. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Oh, waiting is the worst!
    Did you candle these eggs before lock down to see if they developed?
    If they haven't pipped yet, you could try to candle them. If they are dark you could give them a couple more days, but if they are clear then something went wrong. You can also try "chirping" to them to see if you get any response.
    Good luck

3. ScottsSilkies

ScottsSilkies Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Live Oak
    Just before I give up completely on late hatching eggs, I float them in very warm water.
    If there is a live chick in there, the egg will float & you will see the egg gently rock back and forth.
    (Don't take your eyes off the egg, sometimes only happens briefly.)
    I'm not saying to give up if that doesn't happen. Of course dry the eggs real well & put
    back in the bator quickly. I'm a diehard & have waited an extra week when I thought
    I needed to. Once in awhile it pays off.
    Good Luck.

4. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    when i candled them all at day 18 all 5 were very dark and moving around. i tried the water thing and the 3 floated how they said they should and one did move around quite a bit! but i still don't have anything this morning... i told them im leaving for 5 hours so there's plenty of time to hatch.... [​IMG]

5. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sending hatching thoughts your way.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  6. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    do you have more eggs that need to go in the incubator?

if not, i'd say hold on a little longer

i read something that said thirty days is as long as the eggs should stay in the incubator.

i have five that float-tested the way viable eggs are supposed to, so they're still in there.

friday will be day twenty-eight. i have more eggs that i plan to put in on friday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by