When should I start the adventures to the outdoors?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover179, Feb 24, 2011.

1. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    The ducklings are now 9 days old, and I have an outdoor enclosure almost finished (I have the chain link kennel with slats in it to prevent choking, or predators I have a kiddy pool, and a dog house I need to waterproof all I need is Stall mats to go on the cement bottom so they don't get bumblefoot, and to put the chain top, and tarp over it.). When after I finish it should I let them venture outdoors? Metzer's says 1 month, but I need a second opinion!

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Mine are 5 weeks old and I havent put tem out yet but its cold here and we are going to get snow tomorrow 5-7 inches [​IMG] Last week was so nice I really was hoping winter was over.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

My 2 I hatched out last month have been out during the day for the past 10 days. They are 5 weeks old now and the weather has been nice so Ive had them outside in a pen from about 9am untill 6pm when I lock up the other ducks. I have been giving them supervised play time out in the big yard with the big ducks but it is coming to the stage that they are saying...no I dont want to go back in the pen, I want to stay out here. I used to be able to shout..run over here and they would, now they run the other way like...yeah right, come and catch us.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If you have nice weather- no reason they cant have short trips outside now. Metzers recommendation can be open to interpretation - do they mean to go outside at all...or to be permanently outside?? Nothing wrong with a duckling being outside- after all - thats where they are if the mother hatches and raises them- its just keeping them warm enough that is the main issue without the mother duck in the picture.

Half an hour in the sun on some grass could be a good way of easing boredom. Mine love a trip outside to forage and have a really good run around to stretch their legs and wings. On weekdays the younger ones might only get half an hour while three to four week olds might get two hours. Weekends when I have more time to sit outside with them and monitor how they are coping with the temperature outside the brooder. Something I have done on occasions is heat up a hot water bottle and place it in a sheltered area of the cage- so if they are all just having a snooze very close- or on it- I just bring them back inside.

I would suggest an area that has enclosed sides- not necessarily all four sides- but at least two so they have a corner to huddle in but an open top so the sun can get in-( wire or mesh on top though- not completely bare ) for them so young though- free from any drafts. Even if you just took them outside while you cleaned the brooder it would give them a chance to explore and discover. I never leave mine outside overnight summer or winter until they are at least 4 weeks old.

5. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    I put mine out when they are 2.5 weeks old. That is assuming the temps are in the 70's and they are wind protected. Moving around at that age produces nice strong birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by