When should I start them on layer feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Smurfbrew, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Smurfbrew

Smurfbrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2014
    Nebraska
    Hey gang, my girls are now approaching 6 months in age and will probably start laying soon with spring just around the corner. Should I go ahead and start them on layer feed, or should I wait until they actually start laying? I also have oyster shell, when should I start giving that to them as well? Right now they are still on DuMor (sp?) game bird grower crumbles with a little added cracked corn for some winter insulation. Plus lots of peas and meal worms and lettuce and cucumbers of course.[​IMG]

And while I'm asking, what layer feed do you recommend? Is there such a thing as duck layer feed or should I just use chicken? I shop at TSC and all I have seen is chicken layer. Thanks for the help!

2. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Some areas have waterfowl food. I don't in my area, and they wanted 85$ a bag! If you read "Storeys Guide to Ducks", he tells you how to add or make your own. I use layer, some scratch, and a bit of cat food or calf manna or Gamebird conditioner, Mine also freerange in a fenced yard in daytime, and get some greens and scraps from time to time. You may have to add Niacin to feed or water if you get some lameness or weakness in legs.Ducks need more than Chickens, but if they get some bugs they are good. You want around 15-16% total protein.

3. Smurfbrew

Jul 30, 2014
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the info. Is that for layers that your talking about though, or just general feed? Or does it matter if I just give them oyster shell? Maybe this is a moot point anyway since I just got my first egg today! [​IMG]

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    If they are not laying i would not use layer they don't need the extra calcium... there is no duck layer that i am aware of so most will use a chicken one, i actually don't use one here at all due the ages and drakes i prefer to use a grower, whole grains and offer free choice oyster shell.

5. Smurfbrew

Jul 30, 2014
    Nebraska
    Actually I just got my first egg yesterday ! I put out the oyster shell a few days ago, and I guess I'll just keep them on the grower that I have them on for now, until it's gone and then maybe get some chicken layer feed after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by