when should i toss *update I have a chick**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by suzeqf, Oct 11, 2011.

1. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I have a OEGB hen that has been sitting on eggs for 21 days as of 10/10/11. I've been candling them every few days because the other hens had been forcing her off her nest and scratching around in it and throwing the eggs around and they have been doing this from day one. When they are finished she'll regroup and continue sitting. I tried moving her several times but it didn't work so I just built an enclosure around her about 2 weeks ago. I candled them about 2 days ago and one is bad and the other 4 are just dark blobs with air sacks at one end. My question is how long should I wait for them to hatch or should I candle them again and see if can see movement and if not just toss them before they pop.

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    She may be a little delayed, I'd wait till day 26 at least until I would toss. The other ones sound like they are good. Momma hens know better than us typically.

3. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't toss just yet...I would try and candle again and also listen for any tapping noises....depending on temps and such...they could hatch a day or two late....just my opinion....

4. suzeqf

Mar 17, 2011
    Thanks, I told my hubby I would prob give them until Friday just in case. I'm hoping at least one hatches.

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Totally agree. The only time I ever had a broody hen hatch out chicks, it took her 26 days and that was without any vandals messing with her eggs!

6. suzeqf

Mar 17, 2011
    I have a chick it pipped yesterday so i checked on it several times and this morning. When I let everyone out Smore's was having a hissy fit to get out of her enclosure so I let her out and took that time to check the eggs again. The one that pipped hadn't made any progress at all and none of the others even showed any signs. I could hear the chick peep and it sounded very faint so I decided to help. I started by just making a slightly bigger hole than it had made and made sure to keep the membrane moist. I thought I had really messed up when I made the hole a bit bigger and the small end of the egg when the air sac was caved in it was hollow. The poor little thing was trying but the only thing it could move was it's head. So I carefully removed the shell and a little bit of the membrane and it started to wiggle a bit more I had left 1/2 the shell on it and when it finally basically fell out it looked weak and tired and still had some yolk left in the shell. I wrapped it up in a warm towel and dried it off a bit and took it back to momma was was back on her nest. My hubby emailed me before he left and said it was still alive:D. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be a fuzzy chick when I get home:fl . I think it may be a banty/reg size roo cross.

7. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    Well? Do you still have a chick? (I hope!!)

8. suzeqf

Mar 17, 2011
    I'm going crazy worrying I don't get off until 4 I really hope the little thing is ok

9. suzeqf

Mar 17, 2011
    I'm so excited Baby is alive and peeping still a little weak but looks good "she" is a clean legged silvery black banty cross

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by