When should I worm my babies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HB Chick, Aug 20, 2011.

1. HB Chick

HB Chick New Egg

Aug 20, 2011
    My chicks are 5 weeks old and really doing well.

When should I worm them? and what wormer should I use? I need a wormer that is available in the UK.

Thank you for your help!

2. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Gee, I don't know whats available in the UK. I fed mine medicated chick starter feed which contains wormer built in, and have had no problems at all. Perhaps that is available to you over there.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Um, medicated chick feed is usually medicated with amprolium, which helps them build immunity to cocci, a protozoa. I've never heard of a chicken feed with a built in wormer.

OP, there are threads on here by people from the UK. Maybe do a search in the Where am I? Where are YOU? forum. Surely someone there would help, if a UK-er doesn't happen along to see this thread. At any rate, people don't usually worm chickens for the first few months, even the first year.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    um I have never wormed them. I didn't think you needed to unless there was a problem. Have been raising chickens for a long time now.

5. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Um, medicated chick feed is usually medicated with amprolium, which helps them build immunity to cocci, a protozoa. I've never heard of a chicken feed with a built in wormer.

I stand corrected.​

6. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    I wasn't aware that you had to either. If this is not true please let me know. Also, anyone know hoe to tell if a chicken has worms? is it in the poop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by