When should I worm my chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TacomaChickNMom, Mar 16, 2013.

1. TacomaChickNMom

TacomaChickNMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    I have five 6-month-old pullets that have been indoors except for a few occasions when I have let them run around the backyard while I cleaned their bedding.

Do I need to worm them now (or anytime soon?) or do I only need to worry about worming them once they are moved outside permanently?

They were fed Medicated Chick Starter but are now on regular grower feed.

Thanks.

2. You may never have to worm. ACV will help with this if given on a regular basis. If they get worms then you surely will want to worm them though.

Have you noticed any problems?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If their feet touch the ground, they'll get worms eventually. Your soil conditions dictate how often you should worm. Warm/moist soil may require frequent wormings as compared to cool mountainous/rocky soil or hot desertlike soil which may only require worming once a year or longer. ACV will not prevent worms.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2

5. They should not need a worming at this age with them being raised indoors.

Even though you are in Tacoma (PNW is know for its rain) you should pay attention to the birds overall health. Worming with meds (like Wazine) is the only way to get rid of them. Round worms, gapeworms and tapeworms are common among chickens. You can usually tell by #1 their droppings and if a bird is underweight or eats a lot without gaining weight.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Birds can get worms in as little as 10-11 weeks old. Wazine only gets rid of large roundworms. Gapeworm are rare in chickens. A broad spectrum wormer such as valbazen or safeguard will take care of all types of worms. Safeguard wont kill tapes in poultry.
    By the time you see worms in feces, they are already infested with them and have no other place to go but out the rear end.
    When you see a bird that is lethargic, slowed or not eating or drinking, not laying eggs, disheveled feathers, not acting like a chicken should...time to worm them. Again, if their feet touch the ground, they will get worms.

7. TacomaChickNMom

TacomaChickNMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA
    Thanks! I meant to say I have 6-week old pullets, not 6 month old LOL.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have wormed some that young, but that's because I have a problem with histomoniasis. I'm not really sure when most people start their worming programs. See my avatar? Get yourself a scale like it and get baseline weights on your chicks. If they stop gaining weight or lose weight, worm them. Take your time and do the research on worming and figure out a program that works for you and your climate/soil conditions, maybe consult with a vet or talk to a local vet school.

9. This may be helpful for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by