When should i worry about a chicken not laying?

GRB73

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2016
SE Pennsylvania
I'm very new to raising chickens. My hens are approaching 22 weeks. Two hens are doing great (RIR and Ameracauna) and each are giving me one egg per day, even through heat waves. My white wyandotte isn't doing as well. She was the first to lay, at 18 weeks. She layed one egg per day for about a week, spent a few days just landaying yokes, then a few days laying eggs with very soft shells. I gave her yogurt mixed with bananas and we were back to big beautiful eggs again. For a few days. Then 5 days ago she stopped laying.

She seems happy, runs around with the other chickens and eats/drinks plenty. All my girls are fed layer crumbles. I provide them with oyster shells too.

What can the problem be? We've had a very hot summer, many days of 90 degrees+ plus humidity. Could it be the weather or is there something else i should be doing to help her?

Some hens are inconsistent layers, and others take longer to become regular, so it's not unusual. I haven't found Wyandotte to be the best layers, some varieties are better than others. Soft shelled eggs are usually from stress or just a glitch in the system. Heat is certainly a stress.

Be very happy they are laying at this age....Some do not start till about 24 weeks or older...Your doing great...I have two pullets that are 16 weeks and are almost ready to lay....Water, feed and stress play a big part in egg laying...Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom