When should my chickens start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RhodeRed596, Aug 2, 2011.

1. RhodeRed596

RhodeRed596 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    I have 17 4 month-old RIR hens that I got from Mcmurray last spring. I have raised chickens before, but never
    RIRs. So does anybody know when the should start laying?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There are many, many strains of RIR out there, so no one can say with certainty.

20 weeks should do it. I seriously doubt your pullets will wait much longer than 22 weeks on the outside. The only strains that typically lay earlier are the hybrids such as the Red Sex Links, which are bred primarily for the commercial egg industry where super early lay and profuse laying is desired.

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Like Fred said..... X-2

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

My RIRs started at 19.5 wks

5. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Fred's Hens :

There are many, many strains of RIR out there, so no one can say with certainty.

20 weeks should do it. I seriously doubt your pullets will wait much longer than 22 weeks on the outside. The only strains that typically lay earlier are the hybrids such as the Red Sex Links, which are bred primarily for the commercial egg industry where super early lay and profuse laying is desired.

I wouldnt bet on that, I have a red sexlink, she's about 18 weeks old and nothin! Comb has still not turned red my barred rock has turned red already but not my red. I'm getting a bit inpatient to be honest. I'm ready to hide an egg under her at bed time just so i can find one in the morning!!!!!!!!! LOL​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by