When should she lay again

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StrayMagnet, Oct 25, 2011.

1. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Chick chick's baby's are almost 3 months old.. It was may i believe? think it was July 9th when we discoverd them. how soon now that their getting pretty big should she start to lay eggs again? and what age should the pullets of the babys lay? im still not sure who's pullet and who's hens. Tomarrow when I let them free range I think I'll try to get ahold of each chick and get a picture. Im pretty sure I've narrowd down 2 to being Possible roo's.. they have bigger nubs on their beeks. and the others have no nubs or itty bitty's ones starting.

im Sorta hoping i only do have 2 roo's and That they will get along where I can keep both. I've become very attached to the remaing 7 chicks of the 11 i had.

they have started to come tome when our ranging. I just yell HEY CHICK CHICK CHICK come here baby'ssssssss and i clap. and most the time you see 8 chickens come running. (mom and 7 baby's). esp if i shake a bag of cherrio's. (their favorite snack lol)

2. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Hi, I have a mama hen (Buckey) who has four babies that are now 13 weeks old. She is a "helicopter mom" and still hangs out with them all day and sleeps with them at night, even though two are bigger than she is. She hasn't started laying yet either, but her comb just reddened back up and I caught her "fluffing" the nest today, so I think she may be about to start. I can't believe she won't turn those babies loose. Cut the strings, girl!

What kind of chicks do you have? I have two lavender orpingtons, and I've been able to tell since they were about 4 weeks old which one is a pullet and which one is a cockerel. I also have a Wyandotte baby and an Ameraucana, and they are much harder to tell b/c they have rose combs (or is it pea combs? I forget) so they don't get as big. Also, since I only have one of each, I have nothing to compare it to. Post some pics, I'm sure you'll get helpful feedback re: the sex.

3. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    yea I think my chick chick is a "coptor" mom. she's still with her baby's. and when I let them range they are all still very much by her and if they are to far out of site she calls them. and she roosts in the same spot as them.. i've also noticed that when they rest in the day. one or 2 try to burrow under her lol.

I have no clue as to her breed. as she literally just Showed up one day. back in may.. and never left. I had no clue she had eggs untile I was suprised by her with 10 fluff balls on the 9th of july. the 11th of july a 11th egg hatched.. all chicks lived up till a few weeks ago when I lost 4 to illness I believe. so we now have 7 chicks and mom

I check the area they roost every day. when I let them range to see if we have a egg.. I have no clue when to expect baby's to lay. heck I still do not know who's a rooster and who's a hen lol.

4. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I have a RIR (heritage) and after she raised her hens- Poof- at six weeks she was done, there were no further "mama" behaviors. And then at about seven weeks, she started laying again. The "chicks" who are now 12 weeks, still try to get under her but she will have none of that. I am hoping she will go broody again soon, she was a really good mama hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by