1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when should they start laying again ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cajunlizz, Aug 28, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    1. After eggs hatch , how long should the hen restart laying eggs again ?

2. how long after eggs are hatched should HEN be taken from baby chicks and returned to flock ?

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Great question! I would love to know the answer too [​IMG]

3. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

My guys are all free range, so there's no taking away of babys... I have a NHR that hatched a small group 6 weeks ago and she just started laying again a couple days ago.

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    #1 The hen will begin to start laying again at prolly 8 weeks depending on the breed.
    When they become closer to being on their own, mom will let them know.

#2 What works best is for the hen to gradually introduce her young to the rest of the flock. If she was taken from the main flock for a secure hatch, then she will take the young back home and introduce them one day at a time till everyone allows them to become part of the flock.

It's kinda a pecking order thing that everyone understands. (if you are chicken brained)

bigzio

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I have a large flock of different breeds and different ages .

Kinda scared the larger ones would hurt the little ones . What age would be ok to TRY and mix them ?

They only a few days old and only 3 of the chicks , but still asking for future info.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  6. tressiah

tressiah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2008
    Beecher, Il
    My girls just went through a molt, so now I am getting 1-2 eggs/day. I am thinking of allowing them to go broody in the spring, and hatch their own. I had 3 broody hens this early summer, hatched out 3 pheasant chicks, 1 died after it's bowel fell out, literally, of it's rectum, 1 died from a malformation of it's neck, the 3rd I thought had a great chance, running around in it's box, hiding nder my hair when cuddle time came, then my housekeeper decided it looked hungry and overfed it, and it was dead by the time I got home from work. We has a little chat over that.
    I don't have an incubator, that's why I 'm thinking of the old fashioned way. Jaques, the love rooster keeps himself happy and fornicates with all the pullets, so as far as fertile eggs, I don't think ther will be a problem. Feed back is appreciated.
    Thnaks

7. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on the previous broody moms.

Please keep in mind that going broody is a instinct, and hens that go broody may never go broody again....it's not a sure thing. I counted on my one hen to go broody this year after three years in a row, guess what? While I thought for sure i could depend on her, I learned it's up to them to decide if the time is right.

Some breeds of course are more broody than others, but the same applys....wait til the reliable one decides she isn't in for the long haul. [​IMG]

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by