When Silkies Hatch are they????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rufflemyfeathers, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    When Silkies hatch are they smaller than the normal chicks that hatch as there eggs are so much smaller?? I am just wondering..as mine are due 13th.

2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Yes silkie chicks will be smaller when they hatch than standard sized birds are. Bantam chicks are always much smaller than full sized chicks. I wish you luck in your incubating silkie eggs. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    They are bantams, so they are about the size of bantam chicks (smaller than standard size chicks). Is this your first time hatching? Good luck with your hatch!

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    A banty silky chick would be around 3/4oz around birth maybe a little less.THe last bantam chick i remember that i put on the scale was a puny 21gram. Figure egg weight minus 15-20% as the chick weight.

5. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Thank you all and this is not my first time hatching eggs just my first time hatching silkies. All my chicks in my coop I hatched outside of the 2 Royal Palm Turkeys that purchased at 4 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by