When temperatures are 100+ degree, keeping chickens alive

ericl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 28, 2009
Here is Tulsa Oklahoma the temperature has been 100+ degrees daily ( 111 degrees today).
I am keeping our chickens in the 80 degree crawl space under our home during the day. Why is our crawl space so cool? I believe it is because the dirt under the house is somewhat damp, and that the evaporation of water in the dirt absorbs heat.
Our home is about 1100 square feet. Have 7 small vent openings and the door that is large enough for a person to crawl through.

I truly feel this is a chicken life saver during this Oklahoma heat wave.
A 5 foot by 5 foot wire cage (from Ware Manufacturing) is butted up against the foundation opening, and I keep water and feed in that area.
After the chickens move out from under our house, I will spray the dirt and chicken poop so that bacteria will break down and digest the manure so that the smell is eliminated. eric

That's a good idea. I am in Arkansas and it was 115 today. My laying hens gather around the vents from under the house to get the cool air. I can't let them under the house, but was thinking about putting a fan in front of one of the vents. it's cool under there because of the shade, the soil, and that the air conditioning in your house seeps under the sub-floor (especially in an older home where the floor doesn't have insulation). I lost 12 cornish x today because their fan got turned off accidentally (I think a big chicken stepped on it, I have since secured it so this will not happen again).

Hopefully this will not last much longer
hit.gif
but then we will be wondering how to keep everyone warm
hu.gif

ah, your poor hot chickens! roccomanchickens, so sorry about the loss of your cornish.

i'll send a little of our san francisco fog (& 59 degrees) weather your way. i hope this heat wave breaks soon for y'all.

We gave our chickens a small pan, about 12''x15''x1.5'' with about 1'' of water. they don't like getting wet, but they put their feet in it and it seems to cool them off.

Back
Top Bottom