When the egg's a-rockin'... Help!! Hatch going south :(

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Duckles, May 13, 2011.

1. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    I have 3 remaining eggs... they move a ton when I candle them, and one has that dipped down air sac... and it's rocking like crazy! [​IMG] I could watch it all night. The other two could use a little more space in the air sac, but they haven't dipped yet. Does this rocking mean that a pip is on the way soon? I'm done turning this egg for sure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi Duckles

Yes internal pipping is on its way. Look at the back of the air cell for the first signs of shadowing which increase in size and down the sides just before pipping. Dont forget to cool those other eggs to get moremoisture loss.

Pete [​IMG]

3. Duckles

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    Thanks Pete! My little rocking egg is talking to me! He's internally pipped and clicking and cheep cheeping when I talk to him [​IMG]

One more has lots of shadowing in the air sac but no clicking or cheeping. I should still consider that an internal pip correct? And the third egg hasn't had any change in the air cell...

Can't waaaaait

4. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi Duckles

Great news with the first egg and you can expect an external pip about 12 -24 hours after internal pipping [​IMG]

2nd egg sounds on the verge of internal pipping. Only when you hear the faint clicking of respiration can you confirm that it has internally pipped through the aircell membrane. At first the clicking is faint an only occassionalso you have to listen carefully. After a short while breathing becomes more regular and the clicking can be heard more easily. Over the hours its lungs mature and then peeping can be heard.

It all sounds like its going well so try not to worry!

I've just got a Dewlap that I think is about to start rotation, it internally pipped Friday morning, externally pipped Saturday morning and its now 32 hours later! Sometimes you just have to be patient with geese.

I'll be waiting to hear good news from you [​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  5. Duckles

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    [​IMG] My cheeper stopped cheeping overnight, we poked a small hole and it looks like he wasn't positioned right, his back was up. I had heard him pecking at the shell but I guess not enough? I don't know what happened. Now my other egg is clicking to breath and has been for the past 20 hours but no cheeping and no pecking. I don't know what happened but I'm so disappointed.

6. pete55

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi Duckles

So sorry to hear about your first egg and of course you're dissappointed. The remaining egg should have good shadows in the air cell and you may even see the shape of the beak. If there's aregular faint clicking noise then its breathing.

Usually you can expect external pipping about 24 hours after internal pipping. Dont worry about cheeping as that should start soon but the chick has to fully mature its lungs first. usually the chick just breathes during the first day and then peeping is often heard nearer to hatching.

Pete

7. Duckles

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    Ok here is a status update... anyone with experience please chip in

After we found our dead egg, which, after eggtopsy we learned was shrink wrapped, we noticed the other egg was clicking much less/faintly. It had been over 24 hours since internal pip. We externally pipped to egg and looked in, we saw that the membrane was tightly wrapped around the gosling's beak which was the only part of him in the air sac. I don't know exactly how it should look, but it appeared that there was no way he could have made contact with his beak to the shell. Worried that this baby was getting shrink wrapped too, we made a larger hole and my fiance used a wet Q tip to ease back the brown leathery part of the membrane, exposing most of his face, and uncovering his left side somewhat. We left him wrapped in a wet cloth for about 20 hours. Once during that time we checked the yolk which was about the size of a nickel and veinous. The blood vessels in his membrane have disappeared by now. We checked him early this morning and his head was stretched out of the egg, the yolk is now about the size of a dime and still has veins. He is still in the egg, wrapped in the cloth. About 1/2 of the hard shell of the egg is removed but the membrane is intact underneath.

Will the yolk continue to absorb as long as he is protected inside the shell? He is very lively, holds his head up, and cheeps like crazy, especially when my fiance talks to him. I'd like to think that it could still absorb and he could hatch safely without hemorrhaging, but I realize he may have no hope [​IMG]

Is there a point where I should start trying to give him water or food?

I understand that a lot of babies in this situation do not make it, but for now I just want to know what I CAN do...

8. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Duckles- As long as he has a yolk sac you do not need to worry about food and water.

I am also nursing a gosling that I artificially pipped after 30+ hours stalled at the internal pip stage.

You assured the gosling has air and are keeping the bator humid so that he can finish absorbing the yolk.

That's the best we can do until they finish the rest of the hatch.

Rest-assured that when he finally emerges, He is going to be one tuckered little soul.
    Have some chick rescue/electrolytes on hand to help him recover.

9. Duckles

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    Thank you so much! I just needed to know I was SOMEWHAT on the right path. I was worried they could no longer absorb the yolk once the shell was opened up. How is your little guy doing? Is he at a similar stage as mine? I'm really worried he will get a burst of energy and pop out of the egg before the yolk is absorbed.

10. Duckles

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    The yolk has absorbed, I thought it would never take it all in but since 4 pm he has made awesome progress. Super energetic, I can't believe how lively he is... He is still attached to the shell by a shriveled looking umbilical cord, now I worry that he will hatch with an expose naval, but right now I'm just so thrilled at the progress he's making. I'm starting to think this little guy could make it! Diamond Wire - I am sending all kinds of good vibes to your little goose goose [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by