1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

When...... The fake egg???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by av8ersteve, Jun 17, 2018.

1. av8ersteve

av8ersteve In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2018
    Hello all. My girls (2 Dominiques and 2 Golden Comets) are 18 weeks old now and I am wondering when should I introduce the fake egg to encourage egg laying? Is there anything else I can do to hurry this process along? I can't wait to get my first egg!!!

Thanks

OliveGrace likes this.
  2. It doesn’t really matter when you put in the fake egg. As for speeding it up, there’s not much else you an do besides putting them on a layer feed with oyster shell.

OliveGrace likes this.
  3. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Manitoba , Canada zone 3a
    Do they squat down when you go to pet them? Then they’re ready, put the fake eggs in each nesting box. The squat is the ready sign

OliveGrace and Dawnclucks22 like this.
  4. LittleMissCountry

LittleMissCountry Songster

Mar 30, 2018
    Virginia
    Mine are just now 18 weeks. I put the fake eggs in last week. They knocked them out the 2nd day, but haven't bothered them since. They have been scratching around in the nest boxes. I am so ready for the first egg as well!

5. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Free Ranging

Nov 8, 2017
    Wisconsin
    My Coop
    You can get fake eggs for free by picking roundish white beach rocks mine were fooled easily. With my dark coop, sometimes I am too!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nothing will hurry it along.
    Layer feed will not speed things along and in fact should not be given until they are laying, if ever. I use a 20% protein all flock type feed and provide Oyster Shell in a separate container for those that need it.

The fake eggs won't prompt them when to lay, just where to lay.

Here some tips on knowing.....
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Belgianchickies and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  7. av8ersteve

av8ersteve In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2018
    I GOT MY FIRST EGG TODAY!!! My girls are 18 weeks and 4 days old and I got an egg today!!! I do not know which one layed it (I'm assuming one of my Golden Comets) but there it was, kinda small, and not uniform in color, BUT I GOT AN EGG!!! And it was gooooood........ LOL

8. Yaaay! That's always exciting!

Feather Hearts likes this.
  9. Feather Hearts

Feather Hearts Crowing

Oct 4, 2016
    Northland, New Zealand
    Awesome!

10. LittleMissCountry

LittleMissCountry Songster

Mar 30, 2018
    Virginia
    Exciting!! I am still waiting.