1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When the flock turns on their leader

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hipmarye, Jan 19, 2015.

1. hipmarye

hipmarye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    So our poor, sweet 3 1/2 year old Leghorn, Stacy, who just recovered from a prolapsed uterus for the past 1 1/2 weeks is back in isolation. We noticed that the other girls had been picking on her after her absence, but she was holding her own. Well earlier today she was hiding out in the nesting boxes so my daughter took her some food so she could eat because my daughter was concerned that the other 7 chickens weren't letting Stacy eat. I had a strange feeling so I went out to check on her a couple of hours later and couldn't find her anywhere, then I noticed her. I thought she was dead. She was buried in the dirt between the waterier and the bottom frame of the coop. She has a lot of small injuries around her neck and comb and is, I'm guessing, in shock.

What do we need to do for her?

She used to be the top girl in the flock. She's drinking some water and powerade and sitting wrapped in a towel in my daughter's lap right now. I think she's weak and scared more than anything and maybe a bit deyhdrated. I don't know how to get her strength back and integrated her back into the flock. She can't live in the side room of our garage forever.

Suggestions?

All caring advice is welcome.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Give her electrolytes or poultry nutri drench to get her strength built up. Whenever you remove a hen from the flock for whatever reason, and return her to the flock after several days; the hen usually ends up at the bottom of the pecking order. This is what happened with Stacy. You'll have to expose her to your other birds somehow in such a way that there isnt contact, but can easily be seen until such time your other hens get used to seeing her and this may take some time. Then put her inside the hen house on a roost late at night when the time comes.

1 person likes this.
  3. hipmarye

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    Thank you.
    We are trying to get her to drink some powerade now. I'm afraid she's not going to make it at this point. My daughter has her on her chest with a heating pad and a towel. She will take a drink every now and then, but she barely holds up her head.
    My heart is breaking.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  4. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    Aw [​IMG] maybe she'll be a house pet? What a sweet looking girl

1 person likes this.
  5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Looks like they gave her quite a go. Poor girl. Time and nutri drench like Dawg said is what is best right now.
    Definitely when you go to put her back in with the group slow and easy does the trick.
    Dawg is spot on with advice there for sure.

Hoping for the best for your little Stacy.

1 person likes this.
  6. hipmarye

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    We brought her into the sunroom where she is sleeping on a heating pad in the dog's kennel. She had\s been drinking powerade and honey water throughout the evening. It's almost 5 am and she's still hanging in there. I'll get some nurti drench later on today. Thanks!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Give her one drop of poultry nutri drench orally once in the morning and once in the evening each day for 5 days, no more than 5 days as it can cause diarhhea. Diarrhea is the last thing you need for a weak bird.

1 person likes this.
  8. hipmarye

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi

Well we went to the 3 local farm supply stores and no one has any.
    Oh a positive note she's been eating a little today.

9. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Eating and drinking are signs of starting to mend IMO. I am glad she is not just laying there in shock still. It will take some time for her to heal and even more time to be reintroduced.

10. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    Aw that's awesome I'm glad she's feeling better. Honey has a lot of good stuff in it. Maybe she'd pep up with that? Or scambled eggs mmmm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by