when the fridge is full of eggs nobody buys

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueseal, Jan 12, 2010.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have ten dozen in the fridge . paitently waiting for customers to stop by . seems like when im sold out is when they all want them. is it legal to sell them roadside. whats the diffrence if they come to your house or u sell them on the side of the road. i sell for 2.00 a dozen pullet to large size eggs.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  2. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    We have friends at a few business in town.
    When we get over loaded with eggs.
    We bring the eggs to them.
    They always buy all that we have.
    Try places where they know you.
    Do you have swap meets in your area?

3. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    [​IMG] Take them to town and go door to door, even businesses. You may even pick up some steady customers that way. Happened to me. [​IMG]

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Have you posted an ad on Craigslist? The first of mine JUST started laying a couple of weeks ago so up until now I have been buying fresh eggs from a guy who advertised on Craigslist. His pricing was $2.50 per dozen but he discounted to $2 for bringing my own cartons. I would drive 9 miles each way to buy 3 dozen at a time...

5. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    When I have extra eggs, I pay my neighbors a visit and give them a dozen each. Then when the time comes that I have to be out of town for a weekend or something, they are always more than happy to check on the birds for me.

I love my neighbors! They are great [​IMG]

6. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I don't know if this would work for your situation but I sell my eggs for $4 a dozen & offer "free delivery to most locations". I say "most" in case someone is very far out of my way and I don't want to drive there. But I drive into town once a week anyway to take my boys to the big public library and most of my customers are conveniently located along the way. So I'm not using up much extra gas to do the deliveries and in a way they cover the cost of my library trip. My customers call or email me by Friday, and if I have extra eggs I'll start calling & emailing them. It usually works out even, thank God. If ever I have more customers than eggs I tell them I'll put them on top of the list for the next week. If I have extra eggs I'll make a lot of quice & French Toast over the weekend.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

When I had 30-35 dozen piled up (when they were all laying), we tried to set up something to give eggs to the homeless shelter ministry. All we asked was that they save the cartons and return them. Gave them 16-17 dozen eggs in new cartons. After ages and ages, we got back 4 cartons, one wasn't even ours and they were filthy with egg yolk and cigarette ashes. [​IMG] Then they wanted us to deliver them. Free eggs. No, wasn't going to do that. Now, they can pay us $2.50 a dozen just like everyone else if they want them. Rather feed them all back to my birds and my dog than try that again.

8. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I went to the dentist the other day and was telling my dentist's assistant about my new pets. All of a sudden i have 3 people wanting eggs. They asked what my price was and I told them I just take donations. I get $3 a doz! [​IMG]

Tell everyone! Someone will buy them.

9. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:yes i posted on craigslist last week 2.50 a dozen or 2.00 if you bring your own egg boxes.

10. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:I just pile them in a box when I take eggs to the missions. I can easily put 10 dozen in a box. They travel just fine for the 20 minute drive as long as the kids don't hold the boxes [​IMG].
    This way you could share the blessings and keep the cartons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by