When the men put their foot down...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by mandelyn, Oct 20, 2009.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Between my dad and my husband, I know exactly where their breaking points are.

My dad, when I was 14, finally put his foot down when he came home from work one day to see a baby piglet wrestling with the dogs on the living room floor. He didn't buy that you could potty train a pig. (but you can!) The pig was in addition to 53 chickens, 14 hedgehogs, 5 dogs, several fish tanks, whatever wildlife was there for rehabilitating, and a parrot. Figures the pig was the one to set him off.

My husband, I have learned, has a different sort of tolerance. I can have how ever many species, but sheer numbers within a species, is a no go. He got pissy when my 70 gallon fish tank had 15 fish. Got ticked off when the rats had babies. Said I can't rescue every dog I see on the road.

BUT... when I have 2 dogs, 5 fish, 2 rats, 1 rabbit, 2 parrots, 1 cockatiel, and want to add 3 chickens... he doesn't care.

Right now I have 6 chickens, 3 dogs, had a cat until yesterday when a rescue finally said they'd take it and fix it. Now I want eggs... husband says No, I have 6 chickens already. Dad said he didn't care, because I already have chickens, so what's a couple more. LOL Totally different logic!

What's the breaking point for the men in your life?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

There is none. I am not unreasonable, and Ken let's me get what I want. Half the time he buys the animals for me. He told me this morning he is buying a barred rock pair.

3. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    Too cute. I am not sure what the hubbys breaking point is, except last year he said no, I could not have a chiuahua (sp?) but yes, I could have a great pyreness. Might be cause I regularly tell him the going exhange rate for a cop and a german shephard is a fireman and a chiuahua. (yes, I have the cop and the german shephard). Hubby has humored me through chickens, goats, sheep, dogs, cats, ducks, cow, horse. The one thing I know is IF he says no, I listen. Mostly cause he rarely says no. So, I wanted some barn cats this month and he said no. So, I won't do it. But he hasn't said no to ducks, so we gonna go that way.[​IMG]

4. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    there was no breaking point with my spouse...he said, "no." I said, "leave." Problem solved...[​IMG]

I guess I should add that he was kind of a dork and thought he could bully me and I

did make more than 50% of the household income and did 98% of the household duties...got old...I felt I had the right to have whatever animals my little heart desired...I was showing dogs at the time and wanted a show dog...an additional one in a different breed...I can be awfully ornery...[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I guess mine does not have one. He buys me all the chickens I want. I guess it would be me that has the breaking point. I am about ready to strangle these inside dogs.

Hubby decided to bring in a wiener dog and I can't house train him to save my soul. He has destroyed my carpet in my bathroom digging at it. He ruined my brand new carpet in my living room. He digs at everything............ I have to replace it now, again. Now, he has my older dog whom was very well trained ruined [​IMG] So, I guess they will spend their days outside and sleep in a crate at night.

6. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    As long as it looks good on camera, my dad doesn't much care. He throws a big fit at first, but when he discovers they look awesome on camera then he's cool. He hated that I bought the goats, but they're so adorable and they make for great photographs... He hated that we rescued the pony, but shes gorgeous and takes great photographs...

7. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    No breaking point. He's probably too nice considering that he ends up doing half the work for all the critters I bring home. I do try to let him know ahead of time and not spring it on him at the last minute though. The kids brought home a dog they found wandering the streets once, didn't bother me at all but he didn't deal with that very well. So as long as I give him a chance to mentally prepare he's fine.
    Fact is he's very considerate of things that I'm hard about, so I try to return the favor. I think that's what makes us work so well, we make almost all of our decisions as a team (kids don't always like that though, makes it impossible to play one parent against another). [​IMG]

8. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    Quote:I like you. - and I adore your tag line.

9. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Kitty cats in the house are a huge no no for me.

10. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:I'd be the same way if someone tried to bully me. [​IMG] They usually don't know what a mistake that is until it's too late. I'm very sweet until someone steps on my toes... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by