When the pip is bloody what do you do?

VioletBlueIvy

Songster
11 Years
Jan 29, 2010
It's day 21. I have not opened the incubator since the 18th. I have an egg that has pipped in the middle. It is not even close to the air cell. The lines of the crack are tinged with blood. I have seen movement.
None of the others have pipped yet, so I am afraid it may have pipped too early. The place where the beak is trying to poke through has moved diagonally, away from the end where the air cell is...
Is this one of those 'ok to intervene cases'?
I have never had this happen. Experienced words would be very helpful right now....

Gosh Im sorry, I have no words of wisdom. Hoping someone with more experience will pop in and help. I do know however, that you should never intervene if there's blood because they will bleed out if the membrane tears when the blood hasnt been fully absorbed by the chick. If it was me, Id sit on my hands and wait it out.
Like I said though, someone with more experience and advice will probably be of more help.
Good luck
fl.gif

That's what I figured. I am sitting tight. Sigh:(
It is still alive though. The tears in the membrane have sealed up, so I am hoping for the best!
fl.gif

I have seen this many times- freaked me out pretty well the first time!

It's probably just fine! If you're super worried, you can use a toothpick to just tip the tiny hole ajar so the thing can breathe- it doesn't need to more than a pinprick open.

I've discovered that it can be 24 hours before this kind gets serious about zipping out, so just sir on your hands or go grocery shopping- but leave it alone! It has to wait for its blood supply to retract and you can't help until then anyway. The aircell is irrelevant if it's gotten into outside air. Usually they open the membrane to the aircell, then open the shell. Just think of this as a skipped step, and ignore the blood.

ETA: I just realized I'm writing like Yoda: "it doesn't need to more than a pinprick open." Ahem...sorry: it doesn't need to *BE OPEN* more than a pinprick.

Last edited:
ETA: I just realized I'm writing like Yoda: "it doesn't need to more than a pinprick open." Ahem...sorry: it doesn't need to *BE OPEN* more than a pinprick.

Well, Thank you Master Yoda (deep bow) LOL!
Thank you, I needed to laugh
smile.png
This hatch has not gone too well.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, Thank you Master Yoda (deep bow) LOL!
Thank you, I needed to laugh
smile.png
This hatch has not gone too well.

I'll tell you- helping is really often just a desperate act that may only be delaying the inevitable. Sad, weak-seeming chicks may get a sudden burst and zip-zoom around and karate-chop out if you leave them. It's something you won't know if you help them because you think they look like they won't make it alone.

I've learned only to intervene if they've pipped the membrane hours ago and not the shell (I'll tap a *tiny* hole in the very top of the fat end of the shell for oxygen - not enough to see, not enough to dry them out). Occasionally, one will pip and then zip and still be incomplete after so long they're glued in- I'll help then, too.

If you help otherwise, it's kind-of a 50-50 that they'll die anyway, because whatever kept them from successfully hatching may keep them from surviving past the time the yolk lasts. That's heartbreaking. It's all tough- I want EVERY ONE to be happy & healthy!

Patience, Grasshopper...and may the force be with you.

Back
Top Bottom