1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when they start laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trouthat, Nov 3, 2008.

1. trouthat

trouthat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    How old does a chicken have to be when they start laying hteir eggs?

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

18 weeks is some what normal... but a chicken will lay when it wants Some as early as 17 or earlier or as late as they want.

3. trouthat

trouthat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    mine are about 16 weeks old. and they finally have gotten all of their feathers in almost. my femails have theirs but only 1 of my 3 males have theirs.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:16 weeks old and just feathering out? That just doesn't sound right. [​IMG]

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I would say between 20 and 24 weeks for most birds...some lay later and some lay earlier but I think the average would be around 20-24 weeks. Mine JUST started laying and they are all 24 weeks. The exception was my sex link, she started at 20

6. Lonomakana

Lonomakana Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2008
    Pa'auhau, Hawaii
    I found my first eggs this week and my chicks are 22 weeks old (RIR, BO, EE, BR). I hadn't finished the nest boxes until this weekend. They are laying in it every morning now. I also found 10 eggs behind a tree today. Thank goodness. Now they can earn their keep.

7. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    20-24 weeks usually
    [​IMG]

8. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    When they are good and ready. [​IMG] Mine made me wait for that first egg until they were around 6 months old. And a few of them haven't even started laying yet at that!!

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They will lay when they are good and ready. My first was at 17 weeks, my last was 27 weeks.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine are 10 weeks and have been fully feathered for a bit now. I have heard that 26 weeks is average, give or take a month or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by