When to abandon and dd happenings.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cargbrock, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Cargbrock

Cargbrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I had two silkies go broody. They sat on 26 eggs. I float tested the eggs after about two weeks. 12 failed. I left the remaining 14 under them.
    We received our new incubator right before it was time for lockdown. I brought the bantam eggs inside (7) and put them in there. (I want to raise them inside.) I left the remaining 7 eggs under the hens.
    2/6 One chick hatched under the silkies, One pipped.
    Total: 1/14
    2/7 Pipped egg hatched, plus two more hatched. Two inside eggs hatched. Incubator cracked, had to send it back. Put the rest of the bantam eggs back under the hen and put the chicks in the brooder.
    Total: 6/14
    2/8 Two bantam eggs pipped. Heard noises in one regular egg. One regular egg hatched, mother didn't sit on it. Both mothers pecked at it. Found it cold and barely breathing. Brought it inside and cared for it. It's doing better. Think it's physically and possibly mentally challenged. (Odd happening #1)
    Total: 7/14
    2/9 Float tested a big one that I hadn't heard any noises from. Failed the test. Both pipped eggs had larger holes where they had pipped. Went out later and one pipped egg was GONE. Chick, egg, all of it. (Odd happening #2) Brought the other pipped egg inside just in case. Hatched it under a heat lamp. All went well. It's doing great. Was afraid the mothers would neglect the rest of the eggs if they hatched, brought them inside and put them in a POORLY made homemade incubator. (Not too worried because if they hatch, it will be SOON.) Regulating it VERY CAREFULLY.
    Total: 8/12

The hens were sitting tight on the eggs though. If a baby hopped out and couldn't get back in, it took a lot of convincing to even get the mama to retrieve it. One time all the chicks hopped out and they got out of the box and sat on them beside the box. I even took one hen out of the box to count eggs and she tried rolling the eggs under her while sitting beside the box.

How long should I wait on these eggs inside. 3 bantams and 1 regular.

I do always crack eggs if they fail the float test or don't hatch. I plan on cracking these, I just need to know when to give up.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I always go to the end of day 22. (no longer)

And I never float test. I candle and listen.

3. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

you float test them out of the bator? I have never heard of that. or I have heard of it when you are trying to make sure a egg is good enough to eat. How does your float test work. Sounds like a very traumatic hatch, best of luck to you and the babies

4. Cargbrock

Apr 20, 2011
    West Tennessee

Oh believe me, it has been. I didn't take the out of the Baylor to float test them... Both times I did it, they were under the mama.. I float test them to see if there is a live chick inside the egg. What I like about it is that it works 100% of the time with any type of bird eggs. You fill a container up with 99 degree water (F) , deep enough to submerge the egg. If it sinks, no chick. If it floats with 10% of the egg out of the water, you have a well developed, live chick. If it floats with 45% of the egg out of the water, no chick. I'm not sure of the specifics of if there is any development or not in sinking or floating, I just know that I say "no chick" because a chick won't hatch.

5. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Any new hatchings? I would think submersing them in water during development wouldnt be a good thing cause eggs are porous. But apparently it works. Thanks for the new knowledge )

6. Cargbrock

Apr 20, 2011
    West Tennessee
    It works for me, so that's what I do.. We had one egg hatch.. I cracked the other two and they weren't alive, but they were fully developed.. One was even internally pipped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by