When to add chicks to a group.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by babyrnlc, Feb 8, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Ok, we just got two sets of chicks. Two BR that are 5-6 weeks and 5 EE that are 1 week. Both groups are in brooders. The guy we bought them from said we could add the BR to the older hens in a week. They are have the size of my two hens (A cornish and EE). They are very gentle, never scrap with each other, but I worry that it is too early. Also, will they be okay without a heat lamp at 7-8 weeks old? It just seems to young, but it would be much easier if that is reasonable.

Next week we are supposed to be in the 60's, I thought about putting their cage inside the run and see what happens. Or is it too early to even introduce them? We are also going to keep 2 of the EE (if we get two hens)

2. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    I'm new to chickens, so I can't help much, but I can say that it's a lot better to do anything stressful at night. They're so much calmer

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    If you can, I would wait until they are a little closer in size. That way the younger ones won't get picked on as much. If it is not too cold and they are fully feathered they can go without a heat lamp. I have five, five week olds in a brooder right now that I have no heat lamp on them during the night. They are still inside the house though because it is just too cold to put them outside yet.

4. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I would try introducing those newbies slowly, on nice sunny warm days, when you have plenty of time to sit outside with your group.
    Carry the cage with the youngsters into the run with your established flock, set them a safe distance apart, so evweryone can see each other. Next, offer treats to your flock, sprinkling some inside the cage for the young'uns. Everyone should be happy. After an hour or more, you might try opening the door to that cage, so the young chicks can explore. STAY CLOSE! you might have to break up some pecking order. If you have a good rooster, he should keep the ladies under control.[​IMG]

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I use livestock pannels covered with chicken wire,after the chicks are older i place bricks under one side raising it just high enough for them to get in and out but the bigger chickens can't get in, this way they can run back in their pen and get away if they are feeling threatened.

I have done this for many years and my flocks freerange together big and small just fine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:No roosters, we are in the city, though one of the one week old chicks have stolen my heart. Not sure what I will do if it turns out to be a roo. [​IMG]

7. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:that is a perfect idea. I wonder if I put the cage of the little ones inside the run with bricks under it, so they can run in and out.

Maybe when it is warmer we will try that.

Thanks everyone. I guess we need to get through this next snow storm first. We are supposed to get 8-12 more inches tonight and tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by